Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Jillian turned 17 months today!

Two more days and counting to her first mapping appointment!

So ABC Action News has been following Jillian through her successful progress.
I will let everyone know when it is going to be televised!

On Thursday we will be meeting the Baker Family for the first time. I have been in contact with Ryhan's Mom (Courtney) since September 2007 (rhyanshope.org).
Courtney's daughter (Rhyan) received her first CI at 18 months and just recently received her second CI in May 2007.
Her bilateral implants have been extremely successful, and she now attends the first grade.
I of course can't wait to meet Courtney, but even more so can not wait to meet, and talk to Rhyan.
I don't want to overwhelm her with questions.....she 7 years old, but I can't wait to hear, and to see the success from this beautiful little girl that I have only read about and have seen her pictures.

In all honesty, I have always felt alienated when I found out at birth that my little one was deaf. I don't know anyone who is deaf, and immediately wanted to know how I can better her from her diagnose.

I have spoken to many parents with deaf children and spoken to the most beautiful people that have chosen to remain deaf, and admire everyone's story!

Sign Language is a beautiful language and will always be seen in our household.
Jillian will always be deaf and it is a beautiful gift from God.

I choose the path to try to give her the gift of hearing. I should rephrase that, I hope that this is God's plan for her.

I know that the deaf community sometimes frowns upon CI's but why not give our children every and all opportunities to try to make their lives easier!

I was told at age 7 that I needed to wear eye glasses to see the chalk board and I can't imagine my parents telling me just "deal with it".

Of course , if there is something that can better a situation......."go with it!"

No comments: