Thursday, March 13, 2008


From one successful story to the next........

Today we met The Baker family at a park in St. Petersburg, Florida.
It was an incredible day! Our families blended so well.
Meeting Courtney, was like a reacquainting with an old high school/ college friend that I hadn't seen in years!
When I said "hello" and hugged her, tears came to my eyes. It was such an intense feeling, knowing that this person who I have talked to for months has walked down the same path that I'm approaching.
God does have our lives planned out before birth, and He reconfirmed it.
Our husbands hit it off and seem to share the same strong, high spirited personalities. It was interesting to listen to their conversation, from "guy" talk to hearing how passionate they are about their daughter's experiences and their progress.
As for the little ones......the four of them interacted and played together as if they have been best friends, that they see each other everyday!

It was amazing and yet very emotional for me to listen to Rhyan answering my questions. I asked her what grade she was in and what is her most enjoyable activity, at home or at school. She replied immediately without any hesitation or asking me to speak louder in the cutest little voice. She held a conversation like any other 6 year old.
She then was interviewed by the news cast and that is when I became teary eyed. I watched as the reporter asked Rhyan questions and she was smiling and responding like any happy little girl would.
It was tears of joy and anticipation, knowing that my Jilly will be at this point of progress at her age.

One of my husband's questions to Rhyan was "what do I sound like?" Which we have been told from others that it sounds like a duck, a robot, or like talking under water. She replied "what do you mean? You sound normal." Matt (her Father) told us a story, that one night they were watching T.V. and the theft commercial (credit card company) came on... the man is sitting there in a lazy boy chair and his voice is a females voice and she looked over at her Mom and Dad saying " that isn't right" that's not a mans voice. She was able to hear the difference from low and high tones and was able to differentiate the sounds from the voice.

I wonder if Rhyan (or Jillian when she is older) wonders why people ask her these questions? To her this is all she knows, there is nothing different.
It's funny because since Jillian has been born and people have met her for the first time, I don't introduce my daughter as " this is Jillian, and she is deaf." I introduce her as Jillian. Not that I'm embarrassed or want anyone to feel sorry for her, if anything when I do tell someone it comes across as being PROUD!
As she has become older, at times when people are talking to her and they except her to respond, I let them know that she is deaf. So that they have a little better understanding.

Meeting "The Baker family" was very inspirational! I love encountering inspired people, it only motivates you to do more and to be successful. Isn't that what life's about!!

No comments: