Sunday, June 1, 2008

Jillian's having fun!



I know, way too long without updating "lil Jilly's" progress......She is doing phenomenal!
She is now 19 months, and she is starting to realize the value that her CI holds.
For the past three months she hasn't wanted much to do with her processor, she would fight us to put it on and fight us to keep it on. I felt as though she loves the sound of silence and doesn't want to hear any noises or sounds.
I will continue to fight for her second implant and at some point, when Jillian is able to make her own decisions and if she chooses not to wear her device and would like to remain a life in silence, I will RESPECT her decision.
I will remind her that this is a GIFT from God and that this was His plan for her.
I have only wanted her to have choices in life and never wanted her to be limited.
I wouldn't feel as though I fulfilled my Motherhood in making any other decision.
When the doctor told me that she was Deaf, my next question was "what can I do to help her", The CI, was not a decision or question between John and I, It was a demand.

There is a doctor at our Church that told me "wait about 5-6 years before you get her implanted in her left ear." Of course I knew where he was going with this conversation, but on the same hand I appreciated his concern. He stated that "you never know where technology will be in the next few years and may be able to give her something more." He's right, BUT, I'm not willing to wait. These are the most important years in her life to learn her vowels, consonants and to learn how to communicate verbally. She needs to be able to hear now. I don't doubt that there won't be something more advanced in the next few years with maybe less therapy, but what if there isn't? She will be able to develop, successfully with a CI, and she will get her second one within time. I'm not willing to take chances when it comes to my daughter's! They deserve only the best!

No comments: